SPACETECH4SEA project proposes a fuel tank that weighs around 86% less than the average LNG tank of the same net volume. The SPACETECH4SEA innovation is based on the composite carbon fiber technology, which allows development of ultralight compact tanks, making LNG as fuel feasible for a broader range of marine vessels. More specifically, the all – composite technology of ultralight seamless carbon fiber boss integration tank can be widely used in global maritime sector promoting LNG in marine fuel applications in a cost efficient manner. The objective of the project is to remove the obstacles in the implementation of the LNG as marine fuel in EU water basins through the commercializing of an innovative aerospace technology LNG fuel tank and side systems (all-composite flanges and bosses) which dissolves the negative of effects of the current technological solutions in vessels design and operation.
SPACETECH4SEA aims the:
- Contribution to lower CO2, SOx, NOx and PPM emissions.
- Revitalization of European Shipbuilding and Ship Repair sector by enabling new builds or retrofits to switch from HFO to LNG.
- Obtainment of high-level USA Aerospace technology in Europe in order to boost EU economy and employment. In particular, by transferring the know-how of USA technology to EU, new business opportunities will be created.
- Improvement of vessel’s efficiency resulting in a greater cargo-pax/capacity ratio, as it is an ultra-light, super strong and cost-effective solution for maritime industry. Transport sector is to be greatly benefited by the offered mass saving enabling lower Opex figures.
- Modifications from Aerospace to Marine environment; the tank technology will be modified so as to meet the Marine environment requirements. It is expected that these modifications will create significant savings.